skip navigation

Schwan Cup Silver Division Day 2; BSM-Wayzata to play for title

By Staff Reports, 12/31/08, 10:05AM CST


Trojans and Red Knights face off for more than Silver Division title as the game takes on sectional implications

Benilde St Margaret's 4 Cretin Derham-Hall 1


In a rematch from a few weeks back, the Benilde-St. Margaret's Red Knights defeated the Cretin-Derham Hall Raiders for the second time by a score of 4-1 Tuesday night at Aldrich Arena. They topped the Raiders 4-2 a few weeks back. Tuesday night senior defenseman Pat Borer had a goal and two assists to lead his team to the finals of the Silver Division of the Scwhan Cup Thursday.


After a scoreless first period, it was a game of give and take as the teams knuckled down defensively to play a tense first period and majority of the second. It wasn't until 13:57 of the second period that Brett Patterson scored a rebound goal from a pile up in front of Raider goalie Ben Walsh that the game loosened a bit.


The Raiders, even though only down one goal, pressed in the third period only to see the ice open up for the Red Knghts. Borer scored on a seeing eye shot from the point as he fired one in from straight on. He clanged it six inches off the ice on the right post and it rattled in behind Walsh for the 2-0 lead. His goal came at 1:27 of the third to put more urgency in the Raiders.


Due to that, the Red Knights were able to stretch the ice and it was the freshman Christian Horn taking a rink wide pass to the left side in the neutral zone from Dan Pemberton. He raced in and beat Walsh for the 3-0 lead and his second goal of the tournament.


Bob Kinne scored for the hard working Raiders to draw them to 3-1 with 2:11 remaining in the third. After a furious Raider finish, Meyers and the Red Knights went on to the victory as Patterson scored his second of the game with the empty net tally.


It was a hard working win for the Red Knights against a good team in the Raiders. Cretin Derham-Hall played a disciplined game, yet came up short in the goal scoring category mostly because it was the fine goaltending of Meyers who made 24 saves for the win. Up next for the Red Knights is the final game in the Silver Division with an impressive Wayzata Trojan team.



Wayzata 5 Breck 4 ot


The Breck Mustangs defeated the #2 ranked Duluth East Greyhounds on opening night of the Schwan Cup Silver Division quarterfinals. They took a disciplined Hound team and beat them with their finishing ability and skill.


Their opponent in the Semi-finals, the Wayzata Trojans, handled the Brainerd/Pillager/Pierz Warriors with a 7-1 on their opening night. For Wayzata, the semi-final game with Breck gave them the chance to advance to the finals of the Silver division.


The Mustangs fired first as they scored :26 into the first period as Riley Borer redirected a blast from the point by Ryan Herd. The Trojans bounced back with three goals of their own in the first period Kevin Blackley, Lucas Whelan, and Danny Walsh scored goals within a 4:05 span to take the 3-1 lead to the locker room.


The game settled in and as MyFoxHockey.com's Doug Erlien said, “The Breck Mustangs came away with a victory in the second period as they stemmed the tide on the Trojans.” They maintained the 3-1 score and began to gain confidence. It allowed them to go to work in the third period which became wild.


First, it was freshman Wes Iverson that carried the puck from the left circle to the slot and sniped the glove hand corner on Wayzata goalie Ty Simcoe to cut the margin to 3-2 at 3:58 of the third period. The Trojans gripped their sticks tighter and the Mustangs couldn't wait for the puck to be dropped.


Just :30 later Cameron Born tied the game at 3. Scott Holm took advantage of a turnover in the Mustang zone. Just :31 after that a clearing attempt hit him in the breezers, as he allowed the puck to drop from his pants he waited and fired a top shelf goal past the glove of Breck goalie John Russell. To summarize, Breck erased a 3-1 deficit and fell behind in a 1:01 span of the third period.


Senior Joe Rehkamp tied the score on rebound with 2:49 left to tie the game at four to force overtime. As the 8 minute overtime period was coming to a close and a shootout was looming, the Trojans sealed the deal as senior Matt Straate put away the game winner off a wild rebound and scramble in front of Simcoe.


Wayzata earned a berth to the championship of the Silver Division with the Benilde-St. Margaret's Red Knights on Thursday at the Xcel Energy Center.