skip navigation

Moorhead's storm outlasts Benilde-St. Margaret's in overtime thriller

By Drew Herron, SportsEngine, 12/10/21, 4:45PM CST


The Spuds never had a lead in the game, but also never trailed the Red Knights by more than a goal throughout the back-and-forth contest.

Moorhead's Harper Bentz (19) acknowledges a teammate after scoring the game-winning goal in overtime. The Spuds beat Benilde-St. Margaret's 4-3. Photo by Mark Hvidsten, SportsEngine

The Spuds boarded their bus at Moorhead High School a little before noon Friday morning, knowing they wanted to stay ahead of the winter storm rapidly and certainly approaching from the south.

Leaving the Rec Center in St. Louis Park many hours later in the blizzard, back on the bus bound for their west metro hotel with a 4-3 overtime victory in hand over host Benilde-St. Margaret’s, the Moorhead Spuds had reason to be merry.

A gritty, blue-collar effort parallelled that of the persistent storm outside, with the Spuds dominating along the boards and setting up their offense from behind the goal line with steadfast resolve.  

Moorhead's Joe Kortan (10) and Benilde-St. Margaret's Mason Stenger (3) battle for control of the puck in the third period. Photo by Mark Hvidsten, SportsEngine

First Report

Harper Bentz weaved through traffic in the neutral zone, and after crossing the blue line fed a perfect no look pass to teammate Aaron Reierson on his left. Reierson sent it straight back and Bentz buried a top-shelf shot to lift Moorhead to a gritty 4-3 overtime victory over Benilde-St. Margaret’s Friday night at the St. Louis Park Rec Center.

A competitive battle that saw three ties and four lead changes was settled in overtime in what ought to be considered a premier early-season matchup in Class 2A.

Benilde-St. Margaret’s (2-3) struck first and Moorhead (3-3) chased the rest of the way, not leading until the decisive overtime score. A gritty performance along the boards and behind the net carried the Spuds at times and set the tone for long stretches. 

Gavin Lundberg and Thomas Schroeder eached finished with a goal and an assist, while Reierson and Carson Triggs contributed to key assists each. Wyatt Tweet also added a pivotal goal late in period two that kept BSM at arms length. 

Goaltending was strong on both sides, with Red Knights’ goaltender Mason McElroy stopping 39 of 43 shots, while his counterpart Kai Weigel made 34 saves on 37 shots. 

Benilde-St. Margaret’s got its scoring from three different sources, with Adam Marshall, Mitchell Dokman and Peter Giertsen contributing. Marshall is now tied for the team lead with three goals and six points on the season. 

Benilde-St. Margaret's junior Peter Giertsen started the scoring in the first period with this shot. It was his first goal of the season. Photo by Mark Hvidsten, SportsEngine

The MN Hockey Hub poll is for entertainment purposes only.

Hockey Hub Headlines

Feed for https://www.startribune.com/sports/index.rss2