A look at Maple Grove softball policies, which have helped coach Jim Koltes maintain a positive environment for his players and coaches.
• All parent concerns must be addressed following the district's "Conflict Resolution Process," which is reviewed during preseason parent meetings.
• Determine the issue and address it with the child first. Then decide whether it's worth pursuing.
• When ready to approach the coach, do so after an event or call to set up a meeting.
• Bring the child along to the meeting. This will help avoid potential communication problems.
• Adhere to the coach's team policies. The more respect shown by a parent, the more respect the coach will show in return.
-- Jason Gonzalez, Star Tribune staff writer