skip navigation


By Loren Davis, 01/27/09, 7:02AM CST



On Tuesday, January 20, the Mound-Westonka Boy’s Hockey team traveled to Litchfield for a conference match-up. The White Hawks attacked from the opening whistle, and took a 1-0 lead just over one minute into the game, when Josh Bingham got the puck to Riley Horgan in front of the Litchfield net. When Horgan’s backhand was stopped, and Tanner Botts tried to stuff in the loose puck unsuccessfully, Horgan cleaned up and jammed the puck home. The White Hawks made it 2-0 just a minute later, when Matt Pearson sent a pretty pass from the defensive zone to Riley Horgan squeezing between the Litchfield defense, and Horgan’s quick wrist shot on the ice caught the lower left corner of the net. Half way through the first period, the White Hawks made it 3-0, when Riley Horgan won the face off in the Litchfield end, and shoveled the puck to Josh Bingham, who used the defense for a screen and slid a shot from the center slot under the goalie’s pads. With 5 minutes left in the period, the White Hawks made it 4-0, when Kirby Horgan brought the puck into the offensive zone and fed it to Ben Curti in the corner. Curti fed it out to Riley Horgan in front, and Horgan moved into the center slot and fired a hard wrist shot into the upper corner. The White Hawks added a 5th goal with 3 minutes left in the first, when Riley Horgan dug the puck out of the corner and handed it off to Nick Kuehl on the side. Kuehl took it along the goal-line to the net, and caught the upper near corner with a wrist shot for a 5-0 White Hawk lead after one.
In the second period, the White Hawks continued to control the play, and added a 6th goal, when Riley Hogan took control of the puck at center ice and brought it into the Litchfield zone on a two-on-one, sliding it over to his brother Kirby at the last second, and Kirby flipped a shot past the goalie’s glove. In the third period, the White Hawks made it 7-0 when Riley Horgan took the puck all the way up the side and wove in toward the net. Horgan then slid the puck across the net to Ben Curti, who was coming in from the far side, and Curti slid the puck around the goalie and in. With 4 minutes left in the game, the White Hawks made it 8-0 when Nick Kuehl started a play in the defensive end, getting the puck up to Kirby Horgan at center ice, and Horgan fed his brother Riley flying up the near side. Riley bounced between three defensemen and backhanded the puck under the goalie’s pads. Litchfield scored late in the game to take away the shutout, when a shot from the side was knocked down in front of the White Hawk net, and the loose puck was slapped past goalie Aaron Davis. But Davis had 20 saves on the night, Riley Horgan had 4 goals and 4 assists, and the White Hawks had a solid 8-1 win.
On Saturday, January 24, the White Hawks traveled up I-94 to St. Cloud to take on the St. Cloud Cathedral Crusaders.   The Crusaders are one of the top-ranked teams in Class A Hockey, and they came out strong, taking an early 1-0 lead just 5 minutes into the game when a shot from the point that was sailing wide was tipped in mid air by a White Hawk defensemen trying to knock it down, and tipped past goalie Dan Swanson.   The Crusaders doubled their lead to 2-0 just a minute later when a wide shot caromed back to the edge of the net and a Crusader forward jammed it between the goalie’s pads and the post. The White Hawks went down 0-3 with 6 minutes left in the first period, on a pass out of their defensive zone to a forward breaking past the White Hawk defense. The White Hawks had a couple of nice opportunities to close the gap in the first period, but they just could not convert their scoring chances into goals tonight. 
In the second period, St Cloud widened their lead to 5-0, with a goal halfway through the period on a stuffed-in rebound after a blast from the point, and with another goal in the last minute of the period when a shot from the point on the ice was ricocheted by a stick in front up over the goalie’s shoulder. Cathedral took a number of penalties in the third period, giving the White
Hawks a few power play chances, including a 5-on-3 power play for almost two minutes. The White Hawks again had a couple of nice scoring chances, but a couple of shot hit pipes, and a couple of shots were buried in the goalie’s pads. Cathedral added another breakaway goal while the White Hawks were pressing on a power play advantage, and sent the White Hawks home late on a Saturday night with a tough 6-0 loss.