skip navigation

Red Knights' season ends in overtime of Section 6AA semifinal

By BSMHockey.com, 02/20/16, 7:30PM CST


Cretin-Derham Hall halts BSM's bid for unbeaten season.

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. -- Benilde-St. Margaret's had struggled in the first period on several occasions over the last month of the season. However, they had always found a way to overcome those struggles.

In Saturday's Section 6AA semifinal at the Bloomington Ice Garden, the Red Knights almost overcame those early struggles again.

But, in the end, Jack Jaunich's tip-in goal at four minutes, 38 seconds of overtime put an end to BSM's bid for an unbeaten season and ended the Red Knights' 2015-16 campaign with a 4-3 loss.

Jaunich, who recorded a hat trick, started the game's scoring when he and Ryan Smith executed on 2-on-1 with Smith centering pass from the right side allowing Jaunich to snap a quick shop past Ryan Bischel's blocker pad with 5:34 to play in the opening period.

That one goal lead would last just 2:24 before Auggie Moore scored the first of his two goals by converting a Zach Risteau rebound with 3:10 to play in the opening frame.

The Raiders continued to match the play of the state's top-ranked team and scored 8:11 into the middle stanza when  a turnover at the BSM blue line created a chance and Ryan Smith backhanded a pass through the slot to Jaunich, who converted the pass for a 2-1 lead.

It would then take the Raiders just 28 seconds to extended the lead to 3-1 as Cal Peterson caused a Red Knight turnover in the right circle. The puck bounced free to John Gleason, who had his first shot stopped by Bischel but he banged home the rebound while falling to the ice, which led to an immediate timeout by the Red Knights.

Thirteen seconds later, Risteau would get whistled for a cross-checking penalty but, despite four Raider shots on goal, BSM managed to kill the penalty and, with 1:17 to play in the period, the Red Knights would get their first power-play chance following a tripping penalty to Jack English.

As the clock wound down to end the period, Nick Austin got a shot from the top of the slot that rebounded to the left faceoff circle, where it was chased down by Jerry Calengor.

Calengor, with the clock running out, threw the puck back into the slot where it deflected off a Raider defenseman to Moore, who buried his shot with 1.5 seconds on the clock to cut the CDH lead to 3-2 entering the second intermission.

The home team would get two more power-play chances early in the third period and, with 9:09 to play in the frame, Risteau converted the second of the two chances to tie the game.

BSM controlled much of the play in the third period and overtime but, with 3:29 on the clock, Luke Horton was whistled for a slashing penalty to set up the Raiders' second power and Smith won the ensuing faceoff.

Shane Furlong moved the puck off the right wall to Charlie Haugen at the right point, He blasted a shot and Jaunich, standing at the inner edge of the left circle, deflected the puck into the Red Knight net to complete the upset win.

Despite the loss, the Red Knights' record of 25-1-1 was their highest winning percentage (.944) in school history and tied for third for the most victories in a season.

Complete statistics from tonight's game are available here.

Auggie Moore scored twice and assisted on BSM's third goal.

Connor Mayer helped set up a pair of goals for the Red Knights.