skip navigation

Moran lifts Red Knights past Hilltoppers in overtime

By BSMHockey.com, 12/02/16, 11:45PM CST


BSM co-captain's second goal gives team OT win.

ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. -- Peter Moran's second goal of the game came three minutes, 22 seconds into overtime and gave No. 20 Benilde-St. Margaret's a 4-3 win over the Marshall School of Duluth.

The Red Knights had to overcome a pair of early deficits as Moran's first goal, a power-play tally came at 8:56 and was in reponse to the Hilltoppers having taken a 1-0 lead nearly four minutes earlier.

The guests looked like they would go into the first intermission with a lead when Levi Stauber scored with 1:54 to play in the opening period.

With under a minute to play in the opening period, Dylan Hoen intercepted a Marshall pass off the right-side boards near the blue line. He circled back into the zone and unleashed a shot on goal from the top of the slot. Michael McNeil tipped the rebound behind him and Jordan Roo followed him and knocked home the loose puck to tie the game with 46 seconds to play in the period.

The only goal of the second period came when Nick Sims intercepted a clearing pass in the middle of the Marshall zone and scored an unassisted goal with 4:37 to play before the second intermission.

Penalties nearly proved to be the Red Knights' undoing as they gave up four power-play chances in the third period, the first of which the Hilltoppers capitalized on as Peter Hansen's power-play goal tied the game witih more than 10 minutes to play.

BSM had to kill three penalties in the final seven minutes of the third period, including 46 seconds of 5-on-3 power-play time, and open overtime with 36 seconds remaining on their final penalty kill.

After killings off their final penalty, the Red Knights went to work on earning their first victory.

The game-winning goal came when Moran intercepted a pass in the bottom of the left faceoff circle. Marshall goalie Cam Brandt stopped his first shot but kicked the rebound out to Brian Arnold, who tipped the puck back to Moran and the Red Knight co-captain moved across the top of the crease and stuffed the puck home to give his team the win.

Moran was one of three BSM players to collected a pair of points on the night as Sims had a goal and an assist and Hoen recorded two assists.

Goalie Zach Everett recorded his second consecutive 27-save performance as he earned his first win as a Red Knight.

BSM gets less than 18 hours of rest as they are slated to face third-ranked Grand Rapids tomorrow in a 2:30 p.m. matinee at the St. Louis Park Rec Center.

Dylan Hoen set up a pair of goals and won 11 of 18 faceoffs.