skip navigation

BSM junior varsity settles for tie with Chanhassen

By BSMHockey.com, 01/31/17, 9:30PM CST


Late extra-attacker goals allow Storm to garner tie with Red Knights.

ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. -- Benilde-St. Margaret's went up by two goals with five minutes to play in the third period but a pair of extra-attacker goals by Chanhassen in the final 2:02 allowed the Storm to tie the game and the two junior varsity squads settled for a 5-5 draw.

The Red Knights never trailed in the game and spent more than 37 minutes in the lead when Alex Webert's shot from the top of the left circle found it's way through Storm goalie Blake Starkey's arm just 2:27 into the contest.

Webert then set up James Norkosky's power-play goal less than five minutes later, which the Storm countered with 5:17 remaining in the period as the team's went into the first intermission with a BSM holding a 2-1 lead.

The hosts missed a golden opportunity to extend their lead as the Storm took two minor penalties and a major, giving BSM more than seven minutes of power-play time, with more than two minutes of 5-on-3 time.

The Red Knights failed to take advantage of that time but still managed to extend the lead when Luke Coughlin and Jake Leonard scored less than two minutes apart with 4:31 to play in the middle stanza.

Chanhassen quickly cut that three-goal lead to one when Parker Thomas and Thomas Clauson scored 20 seconds apart in the final three minutes of the period and the teams headed into the second intermission with the Red Knights clinging to a 4-3 lead.

They got some breathing room when Leonard scored on the power play with five minutes remaining in the third period and the home team entered the closing minutes with a two-goal lead.

The Storm pulled Starkey for an extra attacker with 2:58 to play and, 50 seconds later, Matt Bimberg's goal cut the BSM lead to 5-4.

With 2:05 to play, Chanhassen pulled Starkey a second time and, once again, it paid off as the Storm, with 40 seconds to play in regulation, got a goal from Justin Kauls to send the game to overtime.

Alex Webert scored his third goal of the season and recorded a season-high three points.

A Red Knight penalty with 1:17 to play threatened to hand them a loss but Jonathan Vitelli turned aside a pair of shots and the hosts were able to come away with the tie.

Chanhassen, with a 6-2 advantage in shots on goal in the overtime, outshot BSM, 32-30 as Vitelli recorded 27 saves.

Next up for the Red Knights is Saturday's game at Metro West Conference foe Chaska. Opening faceoff at the Chaska Community Center is scheduled for 12 noon.