skip navigation

Red Knights unable to hold onto lead in OT loss to Chaska

By BSMHockey.com, 02/04/17, 9:45PM CST


Hawks score five of last six goals to overcome Red Knights.

CHASKA, Minn. -- It was a story of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly for Benilde-St. Margaret's.

The Good: Jumping out to a 4-1 lead midway through the game.

The Bad: Giving up a short-handed goal, which enabled the Hawks to tie the score just three minutes into the third period.

The Ugly: A shot from the right point by Chaska's Billy Bronson, which deflected off a Red Knight player and past goalie Peyton Melin at 5:04 of overtime to complete a comeback and a 6-5 win for the Hawks.

Despite giving up a goal just 49 seconds into the game, the Red Knights wasted no time in getting the goal back, which came just 19 seconds later when Matthew Kocourek's harmless look shot from the left point handcuffed Chaska Justin Bach.

The Red Knights took the lead with 7:17 to play in the opening frame when Joe Collins converted a Bronson McLeod rebound and the score would remain 2-1 heading into the first intermission.

BSM opened the second period on the power play and converted on their first chance of the game when Ian Bahr banged home a Dylan Hoen rebound.

As part of the good for the Red Knights, the power-play tally was their eight in 17th attempts after starting the season 3-for-48 on the power play.

Things would get better midway through the period when Jordan Roo head-manned a pass to McLeod, who broke into the Chaska zone uncontested and beat Bach between his legs for a commanding 4-1 lead.

The Hawks began their comeback with 5:40 to play in the second period when Nick Olmscheid banged home a loose puck and the hosts gained a bit of momentum heading into the third period.

That bit of momentum turned into a landslide when Rhett Pitlick scored just 32 seconds into the third period and, at the three-minute mark, Blaine Warnert took a pass from Pitlick, came off the right boards a fired a shot that trickled through BSM goalie Alex Brigino to tie the score.

Joe Collins scored a pair of goals, giving him seven in his last four games.

Chaska took the lead for the second time in the game when Sam Esping scored at 5:51 but the lead lasted just 13 seconds as Collins slammed home a Hoen rebound, his seventh goal in four games, to tie the score and, eventually, send the game to overtime.

Chaska controlled much of the overtime period, holding a 5-1 advantage in shots on goal, and ended the game when Bronson, who had set up a pair of goals, got the puck at the right point and let fly with a shot which ricocheted into the Red Knight goal.

BSM falls to 5-14-1 with the loss, 2-2-1 in the Metro West Conference. The Red Knights return to action Thursday, with a non-conference game versus class A, No. 2 Breck at the St. Louis Park Recreation Center.