skip navigation

Three-goal second period not enough for Red Knights in Section loss

By BSMHockey.com, 02/23/17, 11:45PM CST


BSM unable to carry momentum from Collins, Hoen goals.

ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. -- After trailing by a goal through two periods, Joe Collins and Dylan Hoen snapped Benilde-St. Margaret's awake by scoring 24 seconds apart.

The goals stunned St. Louis Park and forced the Orioles to call a timeout just four minutes, 40 seconds into the second period.

The fifth-seeded Orioles would get their game back together and, despite trailing by a goal entering the final period, they scored three goals in the final 17 minutes to hand the fourth-seeded Red Knights a 5-3 loss in the Section 6AA Quarterfinal.

The game started with the teams battling back and forth through 11 scoreless minutes.

It was in the 12th minute, at 11:30, when SLP's Willy Basill took a pass across the bottom of the slot from Luke Mobley and, before BSM goalie Zach Everett could slide across, he whip a shot into the back of the net.

Despite the deficit, the Red Knights began to take control of the play and finally got on the scoreboard when Collins found a Hoen rebound in the slot and buried his team-leading 12th goal of the season.

Fans were just settling back into their seats when Ian Bahr passed the puck along the wall behind the Orioles net, where Collins grabbed it, made a backhand pass to the middle of the slot and Hoen was there for a one-time shot which clear turned momentum in BSM's favor, just 4:40 into the period.

SLP called a timeout, which settled the team and, less than three-minutes later, it was Blake Neudecker, one of the state's top goal scorers, tying the game.

That 2-2 score would last less than three minutes, however, as the Red Knights' Jordan Roo won several battles for the puck along the boards before finally getting the puck to Michael McNeil at the right point and, from there, McNeill's shot found its was through traffic and the pads of Oriole goalie Atticus Raasch, which would send BSM into the final period with a 3-2 lead.

Michael McNeil gave the Red Knights a 3-2 lead after two periods.

The teams battle through the first half of the final period with the Red Knights clinging to their one-goal lead but Bauer Neudecker found a crease in the BSM defense to slip through on an Oriole rush and tipped home a pass from Grand Plender at the goal mouth to even the score.

Park seemed to feed off that goal and, two minutes later, it was Basill, sneaking in from the left side, who tipped in a Jonathan Sorenson pass for the eventually game winner.

The Orioles then got an insurance goal from Jonathan Sorenson with 2:40 to play and their defense did not allow a shot on goal over the game's final 2:24 as the Red Knights played with an extra attacker.

The loss finshed BSM's season at 7-18-1 while Park, 18-7-1, moves onto the Section 6AA quarterfinal to face top-seeded Edina, Saturday.