skip navigation

Red Knights fall late in season opener

By BSMHockey.com, 11/28/17, 10:00PM CST


St. Michael-Albertville overcomes two-goal deficit to down Red Knights.

ST. MICHAEL, Minn. --  Matt Kocourek scored one minute, 35 seconds into the game and Benilde-St. Margaret's eventually grabbed a 3-1 lead, but it wasn't enough as St. Michael-Albertville scored four unanswered goals to claim a 5-3 win in the season opener for both teams.

Kocourek's goal came on a rush up the left side as he picked off a pass at his own blue, racing up the left wing before snapping off a shot from the left circle to give his team an early lead.

The Knights answered that just over two minutes later when Luc Laylin scored the first of his two goals but, before the game reached the six-minute mark the Red Knights went back on top.

Nate Clark forced a turnover high in the BSM zone and then picked up the puck near the red line. He rushed up the left side of the ice and into the faceoff circle before backhanding a pass towards Ian Bahr in the right circle.

However, the puck hit a STMA players' skate in the slot and deflected into net, giving Clark his first career goal and snapping the 1-1 tie.

After the quick start, neither team would add another marker for nearly 22 minutes before Joe Collins' shot from the top of right faceoff circle, with the Red Knights on the power play, handcuffed STMA goalie Justin Damon and found the back of the net.

Laylin's second goal came with less than three minutes later but the visitors carried a 3-2 lead into the final period, where the Knights scored three goals, snapping a 3-3 tie with 1:43 to play before adding an empty-net goal with 8.9 seconds on the clock.

BSM held a 28-21 edge in shots on goal with freshman Carson Limesand, making his varsity debut, stopping 16 of the 20 shots he faced.

The Red Knights return to action this weekend with back-to-back games in the Northland, facing the Marshall School in Duluth, Friday, at 7 p.m. before taking on defending Class AA state champion Grand Rapids, Saturday, in a 3 p.m. matinee.

Joe Collins' power-play goal gave BSM a 3-1 lead in the second period.