skip navigation

Great 8 Day 2 -- Evening Session: Stetz's goal lifts Gold over Red

By Drew Herron, Minnesota Hockey, 03/24/18, 8:15PM CDT



The Gold team (Seniors 7/8) struck late and picked up a narrow 4-3 win
over Red (Seniors 1/3) Saturday evening at Doug Woog Arena.

Gold jumped out to a 2-0 lead with goals by Reese Kaehler (St. Francis) and Nick Portz (St. Cloud) before the Red squad would warm.

Michael Savelkoul (Albert Lea) would put the Reds on the board with 2:14 left in the first half. Then Tyler Wenci (Owatonna) scored 9:42 in the second to knot the game before Red would take the lead on a goal by Nick Aney (Rochester Century) two minutes later.

Down the stretch, Gold answered with a pair of goals, first by Aaron Myers (Thief River Falls) to tie it with less than nine minutes to go, then the game-winner by Jack Stetz (Moorhead) with 2:37 left.

Gabe Holum (Grand Rapids) and Matt Fitzgerald (Bemidji) combined for the win between the pipes for Gold, stopping a combined 21 shots. Holum had 11 saves in the first half, and Fitzgerald finished with 10 saves.

In net for Red, Jack Cusey started the game and made 13 saves on 15 shots before yielding to Jackson Killinger (Rochester Century) in the second half. Killinger stopped 18 of 20 shots he faced.


The Purple team (HP18 7/8) continued its hot streak with a thorough 5-1 victory over Gray (HP18 1/3) to close out pool play Saturday evening at Doug Woog Arena.

Purple (3-0) played fast and physical, and kept the Grays in check with an unrelenting forecheck that spawned turnovers and chances for the northern juniors. 

Hunter Olson (Bemidji) led the way with a pair of goals, while Isaac Henkemeyer-Howe (Moorhead) and Nick Dainty (Andover) each finished with a goal and an assist.

Purple led 2-0 at the break, and saw their lead cut down to one when Gray's Zachary Anderson (Eastview) scored 4:26 into the second half.

Purple responded with three straight goals down the stretch to finish strong.

In net, Jacob Gathje (Rochester Mayo) stopped 15 of 17 shots in the first half before Thomas Ogren (East Ridge) closed out the second half by stopping 18 of 21 shots.

At the other end, Lukan Hanson (Duluth East) stopped all 10 shots he faced in the first half. In the second, Nathaniel Johnston (Rogers) made seven saves on eight shots.


A power play goal by Josh Luedtke (Minnetonka) 13 minutes into the first half put Kelly Green (HP18 2/6) out front early, and a score by Jack Hennemann (Sartell) with 1:49 remaining proved the difference as Green worked its way to a 3-1 victory over Light Blue (HP18 4/5) Saturday evening at Doug Woog Arena.

A total of seven penalties were called, the most yet of any game in the tournament, as things heated up with physical play down the stretch.

Trailing 1-0 at the start of the second half, Light Blue leveled the score a little more than five minutes into the second half when Reed Bartlingsscored, assisted by Kory Pilarski (Mahtomedi) and Jackson Luhrs (South St. Paul). 

The contest appeared to be headed to a draw before Hennemann’s decisive score in the final two minutes. With eight seconds remaining, Green added an empty net goal by Zachary Lanz (Woodbury) to seal the win and push the team’s record to 2-1 on the weekend.

Collin Dorzinski (New Prague) stopped all seven shots he faced in the first half for Green, and was followed by Camden Kreibich (Virginia) in the second half. Kreibich stopped eight of nine shots.

At the other end, Joseph Daininger (Blaine) made 19 saves on 20 shots in the first half for Light Blue, while Brennan Boynton (Champlin Park) played the second and stopped 21 of 23 shots.


Max Jennrich (White Bear Lake) scored his team’s only goal with 2:53 remaining as the White team (Seniors 4/5) pulled even with Royal Blue (Seniors 2/6) and force a draw 1-1 in the final game of action Saturday evening at Doug Woog Arena.

The White squad struck first when Max Rynerson (Blaine) opened the scoring at 17:05 of the first half with an unassisted goal. Blue was left to chase the rest of the way until Jennrich notched the equalizer on a close-range wrist shot, assisted by Nick Bowlin (Tartan) and Jacob Halvorson (Northfield). 

With the tie, Royal Blue settles its record at 2-0-1 in pool play. White sits at 1-1-1 heading into Sunday.

Sawyer Anderson (Wayzata) started the game in goal for Royal, stopping all 14 shots he faced in the first half. In the second, Jackson Hjelle (Delano) took over, stopping 12 of 13 shots.

In net for White, Maximillian Ellefson made 15 saves on 15 shots in the first half. In the second, Travis Allen (Centennial) took over, stopping 19 of 20 shots.

Hockey Hub Headlines

Feed for https://www.startribune.com/sports/index.rss2