skip navigation

CCM HP Boys 17s: Day 1 Recap

By Trevor Squire, Special to Minnesota Hockey, 04/13/18, 9:30PM CDT


Section 4 Royal Blue -  4, Section 3 Kelly Green - 3   

After a tied first half, Section 4A/AA used a pair of second-half goals to push past Section 3A/AA.  Kyle Heffron (Rosemount) netted the game's opening goal five minutes in. Team Royal Blue countered midway through the first half when  Noah Skillings (Mahtomedi) one-timed a feed from  Blake Meister (White Bear Lake) to the back of the net.  Charlie Strobel (Hill-Murray) scored a minute later to give Team Royal Blue its first lead, but Logan Kittleson (Burnsville) shelved a zero-angle shot over the shoulder of Bailey Huber (Mahtomedi). Huber finished the half with 16 saves.  Joseph Quast (Hill-Murray) emerged in the second half, assisting a Billy Rose (White Bear Lake) five minutes in and scoring 10 minutes later to extend Team Royal Blue's lead. Nico Vega (St. Thomas Academy) scored with 20 seconds remaining to cut the lead to a single goal, but Team Kelly Green couldn't find the tying goal.

Section 5 Sky Blue - 6, Section 2 Orange - 4

Team Sky Blue struck early and often. Five first-half goals from five different skaters propelled Section 5 to a decisive victory. John Buzik (Blaine) and  Cameron Shoberg (Blaine) found the net in the opening minute.  Zachary Zemlicka (Spring Lake Park),  Tyler Kostelecky (Maple Grove) and Carsen Richels (Blaine) scored successively to close the period, while Samuel Potter (Champlin Park) protected the lead, stopping 20 shots in net. Team Orange crawled back into the game as  Jackson Jutting (Prior Lake) and  Mason Hendrickson (Minnetonka) netted goals early in the second half. John Mittelstadt (Eden Prairie) and Teddy Lagerback (Minnetonka) cut deeper into the lead in the final four minutes, but Team Orange couldn't draw any closer.

Section 7 Gold - 5, Section 1 Red - 2 

Team Gold asserted itself early on, scoring four goals in the first period to runaway with a victory over Team Red.  Cade Moreland (Virginia) broke the game open at the eight-minute mark. Team Red's Caden Smith (Lakeville South) countered to tie the game before Carter Sullivan (Duluth Marshall), Charles Schoen (Andover) and Samuel High (Hermantown) scored consecutively. Jared Anderson (Rochester Lourdes) netted a goal late in the first half to keep the game competitive. A goaltending duel ensued in the second half as neither team could score. Caleb Mayer (Lakeville North) stopped 19 shots for Team Red, while Cole Manahan (Hermantown) made 11 saves. Austen Humphrey (Elk River) capitalized on an empty net with seven seconds left to seal the Team Gold win.

Section 6 Gray - 4, Section 8 White - 2 

Mason Nevers (Edina) netted what proved to be the game-winner with under four minutes remaining in regulation. Nate Warner (St. Cloud Cathedral) fed Nevers across the slot where the Edina junior shelved a shot that rocked Hudson Hodges' (Moorhead) water bottle to the ice. Jacob Braccini (Buffalo) and Brett Chorske (Edina) scored in the first period to force a tie after the first 24 minutes. Braccini scored again 1 minute, 22 seconds into the final half to give Team White an early lead. Matthew Gleason (Cretin-Derham Hall) leveled the score, setting up Nevers' clutch goal. Nevers went back for dessert and scored an empty-net goal in the final minute to seal the win.

Hockey Hub Headlines

Feed for https://www.startribune.com/sports/index.rss2